Between the two stoves (still crated), a dolly and hand truck we planned to use to help moves the stoves, three screen doors strapped to the roof of the Jeep, and various other things, we were loaded down pretty well. All we needed was an old rocking chair strapped to the top of the load and we would have looked like Jed Clampett and Family heading for the North Woods! We stayed for 10 days, with the Memorial Day holiday in the middle of the trip.
On our previous trip, we'd done some "2x4 art" and built some rough-and-ready bunk beds in the lower level, and the Memorial Day trip was the first time we stayed in our own cabin. We also had built a long workbench in the lower level, which served as a temporary kitchen area. I brought up an electric skillet, hot plate, coffee maker, small microwave, an assortment of cookware, and tubs with utensils and food, and was ready to set up camp.
Upstairs, we had similar organized chaos. The carpenters' tools were scattered all over the place, as were various supplies of ours. There was a big stack of 2x10s along the east wall, and a pile of plywood and other sheet goods against the west wall. It was tough to even walk around at times. The upstairs stove added a touch of class to the situation, though. It's sitting up on its platform, which we will cover with slate or some other natural-looking material. We also added a temporary screen to the deck door; it's two sheets of screening that open in the middle, and after you go through it swings together and closes itself with magnets (the dark square in the center). It's a good temporary solution for us until we get the real doorway squared and framed.
As you can see from the photos above, the outside was just about as cluttered as the inside. There were piles of lumber covered with tarps, stacks of wood and log ends laying against a tree, a drying rack for the trim (which had to be stained before it was put up), stacks of scaffolding, and just general chaos both outside and in. I spent Saturday afternoon staining some trim in the driveway.
Later that day, we had our friends the Meyers (from the cabin next door, which we'd stayed in so many times) over for drinks and snacks on the deck, followed by dinner al fresco at the picnic table.
We stayed through the week of Memorial Day. The shingling was finally completed during this time (including installation of the vent stack for the upstairs gas fireplace). When we left on June 1, there was still scaffolding in front of the main entry because the carpenters were still working on the peak over the main entry.
One of our top priorities for this mid-June trip was to install a screen door and a temporary entry door in the main entry. We'd been unable to do this earlier because the scaffolding was blocking the doorway, but now that it was gone we could work on this much-needed improvement. First, we had to complete installation of the "buck," a special type of door framing that is used in log construction.
Steve the log guy had cut the channel into the main entry, and Bruce did some fine-tuning with the chainsaw. In the middle photo above, you can see the channel; the photo next to it shows the 2x4 spline inserted into the channel. I also stuffed some insulation (ground-up blue jeans, which we used in between the logs as the cabin was being reassembled on our site) into the gaps next to the spline.
Once the buck was done, we installed a screen door and a temporary solid door on the inside. It is so nice to be able to enter the cabin without having to crawl through scaffolding, and also super nice to have the screen door to let in breezes without bugs!
The other unit is an island that will have 16-inch-deep base cabinets and a full-width top (we've found a wonderful butcher block top for this one), creating an overhang that will have swiveling stools. This makes an eating area, or a place for someone to hang out while I'm cooking. Right now, we've got two logs in place as temporary stools; not the most comfortable, but they were on hand and we just cut them to size.
The fridge is tucked against the east wall, and there's room between the fridge and the island for someone to walk through; the stairs to the loft are in the corner to the right of the sink. There's also room on the end of the island to open the fridge door. We will have a small, counter-height round table under the window on the east wall (currently covered with plywood) and two swiveling stools the same height as the ones that tuck into the island. The rough layout above gives you a better idea of what we're planning.
We hung a hummingbird feeder on the second day, and got action shortly after. I spent some time trying to take photos of them, but it is pretty tough! They move fast, and it is hard to focus on them. Below is a shot showing a hummer visiting the feeder (and a corner of our beautiful soffits!), and two enlargements. That's about it for now. Next time we go up, we hope to install two windows in the dormer face, and eventually finish it off with cedar board and batten. Stay tuned!